When the cold temperatures of the Missouri winter have warmed up, and the wet rains of the Missouri spring have subsided, it is time for many Missourians to enjoy the summer boating season. Whether you own a boat or enjoy being a passenger on someone else’s vessel, it is important to understand the risks of boating in Missouri and to know what to do if you are injured in a Missouri boating accident.
Seven Truths about Boating That You Need to Know
Before you get on the water, it is important to understand the risks that you face while boating. According to the HYPERLINK "http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/workflow_staging/Page/705.PDF" United States Coast Guard 2012 Recreational Boating Statistics, released in May 2013:
- There were 141 boating accidents in Missouri during 2012.
- About 71% of recreational boating deaths around the country were due to drowning. The majority of drowning victims were not wearing life jackets at the time of their deaths.
- Operator inattention was the most common contributing factor in recreational boating accidents.
- Alcohol use was a leading factor of death in 17% of fatal boat accidents.
- Almost half (47%) of the boats involved in accidents were motorboats.
- Many of the common causes of car accidents, such as operator inexperience, drunk driving, and distracted driving, are also common causes of boat accidents.
- In 2012, the greatest number of fatal accidents occurred in July.
These facts are important for you to know so that you can try to avoid Missouri boating accidents. However, if you have already been hurt by someone else’s negligent or deliberate actions, then you also need to know that you may be able to recover damages.
Call a Missouri Boating Accident Attorney for Help if You’re Hurt
If you have been hurt, then you may be able to recover money for your past, current, and future medical expenses, lost income, out-of-pocket costs, pain, suffering, and other damages that you have suffered. Please contact an experienced Lake of the Ozarks boat accident attorney today for more information. Our lawyers welcome your inquiry via this website or by phone at (573) 240-8866. We also invite you to read our FREE guide, The Lies Smart People Believe About Missouri Insurance Claims, so that you can learn how to begin protecting your rights and your possible recovery today.